Education Policy Intern
The McKeon Group, a consulting and lobbying firm located in Alexandria, VA is looking for an education policy intern. Ideally, the intern is a professional, organized, energetic and detail-oriented person who is interested in learning about government affairs work primarily in education policy but may also include budget and appropriations, and other issues that may arise.
The intern performs many versatile tasks and works as a part of the McKeon Group team in a variety of ways including but not limited to: research, writing, attending Congressional hearings, covering policy events and think tank discussions, assisting clients with Hill meetings, supporting the firm’s social media accounts and working closely with a mentor on day-to-day activities.
- Gain a greater understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes of the U.S. government including the U.S. Congress and federal agencies.
- Develop transferable skills related to public policy, government affairs and client support.
- Monitoring daily news on federal and targeted state education policy issues
- Monitoring legislative, regulatory and judicial events and actions impacting policy
- Attending Hill hearings and DC-based events
- Writing updates, client memos and summary reports
- Supporting the planning for Hill events and scheduling meetings for clients
- Assisting the team with editing all materials
- Other assignments as needed.
The successful intern will have experience synthesizing research into useable materials and has a working knowledge of domestic policy issues. The intern must be intent on learning about the legislative and regulatory processes of government and how Congress and the Administration conduct their work.
- A strong interest in political science and public policy
- A demonstrated ability to write with clarity and brevity
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience and success managing more than one project at a time
- A working knowledge and strong familiarity with Microsoft Office products as well as Google Docs and Google applications.
- Metro card provided
- Full-time availability a plus
- Small Stipend available