Email a resume to email@example.com
The McKeon Group, a consulting and lobbying firm located in Alexandria, VA is looking for two interns for the Fall 2018 Semester. One intern will focus on policy and the other will focus on both policy and communications; both positions will work within the education and families practice.
Ideally, an intern with McKeon Group is a professional, organized, energetic and detail-oriented person who is interested in learning about government affairs work primarily in these areas of public policy: PreK-16 education, STEM, literacy, transition to work, early intervention and family supports, budget and appropriations along with other issues that may arise.
The intern performs many versatile tasks and works as a part of the McKeon Group team in a variety of ways including but not limited to: policy and media research and analysis, writing, attending Congressional hearings, covering policy events, coalition meetings and think tank discussions, assisting clients with Hill meetings and targeted events, supporting client communication activities and working closely with a mentor on day-to-day activities.
- Gain a greater understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes of the U.S. government including the U.S. Congress and federal agencies.
- Develop transferable skills related to public policy, government affairs, communications and advocacy.
- Monitoring daily news on federal and targeted state education policy issues
- Monitoring legislative, regulatory and judicial events and actions impacting policy
- Attending Hill hearings and DC-based events
- Researching and writing about legislative proposals
- Writing updates, client memos, press materials and summary reports
- Supporting the planning for Hill events and scheduling meetings for clients
- Assisting the team with editing all materials
- Other assignments as needed.
The successful intern will have experience synthesizing research into useable materials and has a working knowledge of domestic federal policy issues. The intern must be intent on learning about the legislative and regulatory processes of government and how Congress and the Administration conduct their work.
- A strong interest in political science, public policy and public affairs/communications
- A demonstrated ability to write with clarity and brevity, and strong attention to detail
- Experience and success managing more than one project at a time
- A working knowledge and strong familiarity with Microsoft Office products as well as Google Docs and Google applications
- Ability to work 24-40 hours (3-5 days) per week.
- Metro card provided
- Small monthly stipend available